Reality of Anxiety

So what actually is Anxiety? What causes it? Why do people who suffer from it struggle to overcome it? What effect does it have on lives? All 4 of those questions will be answered in this post.

So What Is Anxiety?

According to the Anxiety UK website, “Anxiety is a normal, if unpleasant, part of life, and it can affect us all in different ways and at different times. Whereas stress is something that will come and go as the external factor causing it (be it a work, relationship or money problems, etc.) comes and goes, anxiety is something that can persist whether or not the cause is clear to the sufferer.” Just to add a little myself, it can be a debilitating feeling that can at times dictate your life.

What Causes Anxiety?

Speaking for myself, my anxiety is caused when I’m out in a situation which I feel uncomfortable with. This is usually an environment with unfamiliar people, or crowded with loads of people too. Also mine is largely caused when my routine as such is disrupted suddenly and I do not then have the time to accept and adjust myself to the disruption. This can be something as simple as the bus or train being late, to a game of bowls not starting on time. If it’s 1 minute late, I sometimes struggle to readjust myself to the new timescale. Reality of life, things change suddenly and it’s how I need to respond to those adjustments respectively.

Why do people who suffer from Anxiety struggle to overcome it?

The reality is, that with most mental health problems, anxiety needs treatment, both medication wise but also therapy wise. Now as the saying goes, there’s no such thing as a “Magic Pill” and from experience, the medication is only really 30% of how you can help to control it. The other 70% is solely down to how much you want it to stop. So many people are scared to have therapy to help out with anxiety but if there is a connection and trust in the therapist, improvements can be made in time. I’ve had around 6-7 therapists in my life, only with 2 have I had a true connection with and made sufficient improvement with. First one being with a guy called Vince, he made me see that life wasn’t all bleak and was so positive about things. Made me look for the good things in my life and make them the stimulus for improvement. The 2nd one being Anita. I saw her in my darkest days in 2016-2017. She picked me up alongside 3 friends in particular from the bottom and gave me confidence to believe and purse goals. Not everyone is lucky enough to have that connection or even gain therapy. Most of my therapy has been private and I can’t recommend private therapy enough. So many people struggle to over come it simply because the support and system isn’t in place for the mass to over come their problems. So much of this is due to the financial constraints of life.

What effect does Anxiety have in life?

Anxiety can destroy lives. Simple as that. It can make you scared to leave the house, scared to go into public. It can stop general life or the life you want to live and follow happening. Ultimately it can have a huge effect on what happens in your life and how you live. How much effect it has on your life, is partly down to the sufferer. If they have the drive and will to try and improve, life can become so much easier. This drive will take time to come, but once that will comes, grab it with both hands and pursue your goals.

Apologies for this being a long post, so thank-you all for reading it, but this is the reality and so many people are not aware of how tough it can be.

Until next time,

AR